Thursday 11 October 2007

weekFAN41_071010




I start to like plymouth. amazing, its only four weeks I live here now and things are getting familiar.
I have to say plymouth is horrible, really. I haven't experienced anything like it before. in any way this place is far behind state of the art development and one wonders how this can happen in a country like england. it is a fact that the west region here is the poorest in the country and it is clearly laking of inspiration. but still how come basic things just don't happen like in other places?
throughout organization seems to be something people down here have heard of but it seems to be quite difficult for them to put in place. I am not talking about individuals, this is a society thing here. one almost could say that the context is just not allowing these things to happen. everything here is so mixed up that one can't put his things right.
basic things like waste collection, provided by the council just don't work. no one knows what day of the week the collection happens in a area. for my street, the landlord told me collection is on wednesday, my neighbor tells me it is on fridays. it appears to be on thursday one week, and no at all the other week. so we end up with a street full of rubbish bags. people here just don't care and drive their cars over it and the seagulls do the rest. rubbish all over the place, for one week! until the next collection. and then the collectors show up in the middle of the night and just pick up the half empty bags. since then the street gets slowly cleaned by wind and birds... (amazing how some kind of natural cleaning within an urban environment occurs...)
this goes on at university, not with rubbish, but other organization related tasks. I don't want to go in details with that.
but back to the beginning although of these facts I really start liking the place. amazing, how can this be? I should hate the place.
I realized that I get familiar with the place just yesterday as we had guest here from switzerland. we took them for a walk around our place. surprisingly to me I was quite proud of showing them round my city. this felt odd because of the reasons explained earlier. I couldn't even find one of these worst case plymouth places to show. on every corner I already had some kind of personal memory/experience that put a relationship between me and the space in place. I can point this out because of the reference of our guests. they where totally new to the place and everything (like everything) here was new to them, but for me, I am only relatively new, navigating and "organizing" in space here seems to be already familiar.
I think this comes from an understanding for the urban fabric that I was able to build up over the last few weeks. at the moment I can think of two elements that make this familiarizing possible. one is the feeling for spacial relationships and the other one is memeories/experiences within this space.
as one can see on my plymouth track maps I have been walking around the city. not everywhere but around the center. not systematically, just everyday uses. as these tracks almost all are walking lines, I kind of developed a body related feeling for the space. I know how it is to walk to the sea, not by hart but by feet.
the other elements of memories is more related to the activities I have be up to in the urban environment. everyday activities, but the now already provide a sense a familiarity to the place. I know the guy that sells the BIG ISSUE next to the shopping center, I am familiar with the elderly people driving around in their motorized wheelchairs, or the group of street musicians playing music on highstreet on the weekend. or personal connection such as maliks favorite shop (disney store) or the place where the skaters hang out at the fountain. or the other fountain where the three girls collected the coins the other day... impressions that bring up the relation ship with an urban environment.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

What a good observation on your own. I got the same feeling when I arrived London. I think you can feel that you are part of the city (at least to some extent). But I have to point out that not all places have such chemistry to my brain even I stayed there for more than 3 months.

However, personally, I don't know how it happened in my brain. Did you talk to any immigrant in the city, say Sandra? Does she feel the same?

Someone argues that why people miss a city is due to the social network - friends, families, partners and colleagues. But in your case, it seems to me that your social network is not based (or not strnogly) on Plymouth. How urban fabric relates to such sense of familiarity (or sense of belonging)? Is urban fabric just a pattern? Or a moment, or maybe they are more than that in human brain? How do you define it?

fan said...

I would not refer to it as a pattern, but as a continuos space. almost like an extended space syntax model.
personal relations is one aspect that is very often referred to in terms of belonging somewhere. but as I now realize with your comment this does not tell something about the actual space setting. it describes relations within the wider context of the space.
what I am attaching my references to is the space itself. maybe because I know too few people here, or because I am constantly looking at space in a certain way... what ever I am thinking this position could be almost extended to a concept of looking at the city as an extension of my body. similar like the concept of a car as an extension of your body.
I read an article about how the human brain is able to extend, even transfer its understanding of the human body functions onto an object. humans know exactly how tall they are and react accordingly if the space gets too narrow or too low, in order not to get hurt. but the human brain is also able to extend this understanding. this is how humans are able to drive a car without crashing into the next corner of a house. the brain is able to adapt to this "body extension".
what if we now look at the city as a body extension? with a house or a flat this is kind of imaginable but with a proper town space it becomes difficult. but to me the relations I made wile writing about feeling at home referred to some kind of body relation between my actual body and the city body...