Monday 12 March 2007

"La Guajira" Special post




Like I told you before currently I am working on a project located in the north part of Colombia. Venezuela and Colombia are building the binational gasoduct, that will bring a lot of benefits to both countries, this massive construction takes part in the department of "La Guajira (pron. Goo-ah-hee-ra) is a department of Colomobia. It occupies most of its namesake peninsula, in the north-east region of the country, facing the Caribbean Sea and Venezuela. Its capital is Riohacha. There are various indigenous tribes that populate the vast arid plains such as the wayú people who are noted for their beautiful woven bags and the strong alcoholic spirit 'chirinchi'. The Guijara tribes feature prominently in the book Papillon by Henri Charriere, about an escaped convict who takes refuge with one such tribe. The largest employer in the department is the Cerrejón coal mine, which produced 24.9 million tons of export coal in 2004" From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The part were I am working is in the social part of the project were part of the social investment is to build some small schools for the indigenous communities of the region. I am staying at Riohacha city, but I do have to spend a lot of time ina city called Maicao which is right in the border of Colombia and Venezuela, both cities are only 60kms apart and they share a lot of similitudes but also there is a lot to compare, I will be talking about this cities and the region. I don't know were will this take us but I will try to focus only on the aspects that we have talked before. I hope you guys enjoy, and if you have comments on how to do this I am open to suggestions.

No comments: