Friday 16 February 2007

weekFAN07-2007-02-16



I hate this new shit here (I'll probably change this comment later but just for now:) I really don't like if GOOGLE deciding for me in which language I do have to ready a homepage. it is awful that I now do have all the google pages in german instead of having everything in english..! I do not want to read in german...who wants this service...? not me....

Ok lets start something else...quite a long time since we last time worked on this research project. to get in touch with what we've don earlier I do start with the same image again. it is again the graph with the plotted tracks that show how I move around the city. the pattern stayed the same it became just denser. I stopped this record at the end of the year. so I do have now three month of records, guess thats enough as there is no changes in sight for the near future.
the pattern develops around a few hotspots and connects them within and with some points of interest or necessity.
as it is basically a movement pattern an not an activity pattern there is not much to find about my acting in the city. it is talking about the city structure and tells the story of how one can move about this particular area. maybe more interesting is what I do inbetween. One could say this is closer to some kind of space-syntax research, but maybe in terms of how activities are structuring the movement within the settlement this is not very useful. it is too close to the physical reality to tell a richer story.
there are a lot of informations missing. for example it would be very interesting to actually see where and how long I stopped somewhere. there are brakes inbetween the lines, at my workplace, where I go for lunch... these events could tell a totally different story. it is actually recorded in most of the daily data on the gps device, I just do not know how to visualize this...!
I am already working for a few month with this device and I am still impressed by the output. the drawing shown is very simple but it visualizes very clear how much of the city structure I actually know, in terms of physically experienced, and how much I have left out. but still I would claim to know the city as a whole. despite the fact I haven't seen large areas I create a mental image of the city and its network of connections.

3 comments:

Luis said...

This exercise is very interesting I think you are going somewhere with this I wish we all had one so we could do the same and compare the movement between the cities, also a very important aspect of information that you are missing is the travel time or velocity, or the means of transportation, a good way to show this and the places were you stoped could be with pictures of the area and then uploaded to Google earth.

fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fan said...

what u suggest would be very important information to have, but as my experience shows it would need much more of an active way of doing it. at the moment these records are some kind of passive mode of recording wile I am actually doing something else and I do not need to bother about what the device is doing.
but maybe we can think of a way to extend this passive mode and collect more informations.
by the way, the original record probably shows more informations such as speed, but I am not using a proper program to visualize these data. I have to think about this and do some research online. maybe I can find a better way of transferring the data.
and yes u guys should get ur self the same device!